Editors Note: Don’t get our slang? Check out our dictionary HERE.
Base Design for clan wars is not as easy as some would imply. In the past (2014) I used to take awesome bases from a clan war that stymied us and then tweak it for any final issues I saw. You can see videos of that here.
That said, the game’s meta is always tweaking and 2015 is the year of the LavaLoon based attacks so TH9 and TH10 need to be rethought (as of 04/11/15 I am saying that). However, right now here would be things I would want to see in a base design for clan wars by TH level.
All TH Levels
- Internet Bad. Don’t use bases from the internet. Most have ‘how to three star’ XYZ videos readily available to someone with basic search skills.
- Defensive Sacrifice. There seems to be a trend to place a few defensive buildings outside of walls on flanks of where people want to attack. Where is that? Usually they are trying to attack the Q side so start there.
- Mid CC/Q. Many bases are shifting to having CC and Q buried with TH offset. Goal of protecting Q and making CC hard to trigger.
- Mid CC/Q. Many bases at TH9/10 are shifting to having CC and Q buried with TH offset. Goal of protecting Q and making CC hard to trigger. This is in response to Lava Loon.
- Speed Bumps for Q/Teslas. At TH9 you stop protecting ADs with your speed bumps (Dragons move out of fashion). Instead, you shift your speed bumps to protecting your buried Q from 270 degrees of attack as many of the Lava Loon attacks rely on taking out your Q and 2 ADs with just the KHC team (King Henry and his Court). This can be foiled if there are 2+ speed bumps on the attack line to the Q (as the Q gets hung up on the storages and the 2 golems die waiting. Example attack you are defending against is KHC2, Tri Lava Loon. It uses the KHC2 (King, Queen, 2 Golems, 4 Wizards, 3 wall breakers, and Lightning/Jump spells) to just get the Q and 2 ADs down. You want to deny them the trifecta (hold to just Q and AD).
- Wide Outer Boxes. Wide outer boxes (i.e. 10+ tiles wide) on attack lines to the Q are good as the KHC2 team mentioned above will make it hard for the attacker to control the KHC group.
- Isolate/Seperate Your ADs. Since Lava Loon relies on getting down your Q and 1-2 ADs try not to have two ADs exposed to a KHC2 kill team (see above).
- Double Giant Bomb (DGB) Buried/Pathed. This is still key @ TH9 (see TH8 for more discussion). Now you have two DGB spots to setup (4 giant bombs in total). Key because the two main attacks at TH9 are KHC2 Tri Lava Loon and KHC2 Ho.
- TH Center. CC Exposed. You don’t have enough stuff to make CC impossible to trigger — so don’t try. Get TH in the middle and worry less about CC placement to protect it and more about CC placement to use it as a speed bump (high health building slowing down Dragons and/or Pekkas).
- Double Giant Bomb (DGB) Buried/Pathed. You should have your DGB buried and pathed such that hogs run through both GB at the same time regardless of where they originate. This usually means non-defensive buildings are on the sides of the DGB channel (and/or 2 tile gaps). Would look something like this (B=bomb, D=defense building, N=non-defense building, yellow arrow=channel):
- Giant Bomb Buried/Pathed. You should have the giant bomb single (you get three) also buried.
- Teslas Isolated. Have the teslas isolated into separate compartments (Symmetrical usually)
- Wizard Towers Front/Side ADs. Have wizard towards in front of or next to ADs so that ADs kill loon attacks they weaken.
- Pathed Springs. Understand how hogs will flow through your base and insure all springs would trigger in the mid ideally.
- K By AD. The K is a great distract for Dragons as they chase him. Place him near one of your ADs.
- Speed Bumps for AD/Teslas. Your high health buildings (Gold Storage, Exilir Storage, Dark Exilir Storage, CC maybe) should be used as speed bumps in front of likely attack lines on your ADs. So you want them in the range of the AD so an attacking dragon would be under fire while attempting to burn through the building. Same concept when used to speed bump a Pekka (protect Tesla). Double bonus when your buildings do both. LOL.
- Skeletons. When you have AD665 or less I would have skeletons to air next to wizard towers. When you have AD666, I would have skeletons to grounds on the side of the base AWAY from the vector they will pull the CC from and/or where the king is. What you want is to have the skeletons trigger late as ground (hog) attacks pour into the base. Most attackers will avoid air attacks if you have AD666 with good AS and base setup.
- TH Buffer, 2 Sides. You don’t have enough stuff to defend here but bases that do ‘ok’ tend to create two main compartments with the TH as the firewall (with speed bumps) between the two. In this way attacks from either side get to the mid-line but stall out.
I’ll update this as I have more insights.